WORLD CHECHNYA DAY: REMEMBERING CHECHNYA GENOCIDE
In 2004 the European Parliament passed a motion formally recognising this tragedy as a genocide.
World Chechnya Day is being commemorated to:
* Recognise the suffering and genocide of the Chechen people as a human catastrophe of historic significance
* Respect all victims of Stalinist deportations
* Raise awareness and understanding of the Chechen genocide as anissue of importance to humanity
* Ensure that the horrendous crimes, racism and victimisation that were committed during the Chechen genocide will never be forgotten or repeated, in Europe or elsewhere in the world
* Reflect on contemporary atrocities that raise similar issues
* Educate subsequent generations about the genocide and the continued relevance of the lessons that can be learnt from it
* Assert a continuing commitment to oppose racism, victimisation and genocide
* Support shared aspirations for the ideals of justice, security, dignity and peace for all
To learn more about World Chechnya Day, its history, its supporters and other events taking place worldwide, please visit: www.worldchechnyaday.org
The website is intended to be a portal for Chechnya commemoration events worldwide. Also attached is an overview document on the Day.
How can you help?
Organise Event! We are encouraging people and organisations all around the world to organise film showings and talks locally, to sell and wear the World Chechnya Day wristbands and, generally, to raise awareness of the Day and the issues concerned. If you are already commemorating the Deportations in any way then we would be grateful if you could let us know by submitting details online at:
Please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for documentaries, speeches or any other support you require for your local action. Posters and flyers are now available: http://www.worldchechnyaday.org/page/Posters__Flyers
Translate World Chechnya Day Document We are translating the attached document into as many languages as possible to publish on the World Chechnya Day website.
Currently we are still seeking translations into the following languages: Greek, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Persian/Farsi, Portugese, Spanish, Swedish.
The translation should be of high literary standard and will be checked prior to publishing. Thank you for your time. I hope to hear from many of you very soon,
World Chechnya Day
..a day that few are aware of and yet none should forget..