Home > srebrenica massacre > MARKO BOSKIC: SREBRENICA MURDERER (new update)

MARKO BOSKIC: SREBRENICA MURDERER (new update)

June 28, 2006
CHILLING CUSTODY IN IMMIGRANT FRAUD CASE


Brief intro by Blog’s owner: Marko Boskic allegedly helped kill 12-hundred men and children at Srebrenica, where over eight-thousand Bosniaks were murdered during Srebrenica massacre in 1995. The killings were part of ethnic cleansing by Serb separatists and was the largest massacre in Europe since World War Two. Boskic had been living in Peabody and working as a construction worker when he was arrested last year. Jury selection took place Monday in U-S District Court in Boston. Boskic faces deportation back to Bosnia-Herzegovina, where he could be tried as a war criminal.

By Megan Tench, Globe Staff
Marko Boskic - Serb Soldier who Gunned Down Over 1,200 Srebrenica Civilians (men, elderly, children) during Srebrenica Massacre in 1995.Marko Boskic, a Bosnian immigrant living in Peabody, kept a gruesome secret from US government officials who accepted him as a refugee from the war-torn Balkans, prosecutors said yesterday.
The local construction worker was formerly a soldier in the Serbian military’s 10th Sabotage Detachment, which forced 1,200 Muslim [Bosniak] men and boys onto buses, unloaded them on a farm outside Srebrenica, lined them up in groups of 10, and shot them as part of a horrific campaign of “ethnic cleansing” in Bosnia in the 1990s, prosecutors said on the opening day of Boskic’s trial in US District Court in Boston.
Boskic, 41, was charged in 2004 with five counts of lying to federal officials and concealing his role in the 10th Sabotage unit on the portion of the US immigration form that asks whether he had ever persecuted anyone on the basis of their religion or ethnicity. If convicted, he could face prison and deportation.
But his defense lawyer, Max D. Stern of Boston, told the jury yesterday that Boskic, an ethnic Croat and Roman Catholic, was also a victim of the bloody events that took place in Bosnia in the 1990s.
Stern told the 12 jurors that Boskic was arrested after helping family members flee and was held by the Serbian Army in a concentration camp for six months. He was released only on the condition that he join the 10th Sabotage Detachment, Stern said. When Boskic refused to participate in the massacre, a commander threatened to kill him.
“He did it because a gun was put to his head and he was told, ‘You do it or you will be shot,’ “
Stern said. “This is not a war crimes case. This is a case about false statements.”
In opening statements, Assistant US Attorney Jeffrey Auerhahn described in grisly detail the massacre of over 1,000 Muslims at Branjevo farm in 1995. Less than a handful survived, he said.
Through a Serbo-Croatian interpreter, Becir Salihovic, a survivor now living in Milwaukee, told jurors that on July 11, 1995, he was ordered to leave his home in Srebrenica, which had been overrun by the Serbs. He and other Muslim men and boys were later herded onto buses and from the windows saw a horrifying scene: empty shells from automatic rifles, and dead bodies, he said.
On July 16, Salihovic’s hands were tied behind his back, he recalled.
He was loaded on the second of three buses filled with Muslims.
The buses soon stopped at a farm filled with dead bodies, he said, and the soldiers started lining up the men in groups of 10 and shooting them.
“We were holding onto each other,” he said. “I was holding the T-shirt of the guy behind me. They told us to put our heads on the backs of the other guy. I was put in a line right in front of the dead bodies.”
And then the Serbs started shooting, he said.
“I fell down on the field and a dead guy fell on my back,” he said.
The Serbs then started shooting some of the wounded, including Salihovic, to make sure they were dead.
Luckily, the bullet passed through his clothes under his armpit, he said.
He lay still under the corpses until the next morning, he said. “I was crawling through the dead bodies,” he said, until Serb soldiers caught sight of him and he ran.
Salihovic found refuge under a bridge, he said, and he met other survivors. But on July 26, 1995, he was caught by the Serbian army and brought to the same concentration camp where Boskic said he was held months earlier. Salihovic spent five months there before he was exchanged for Serbian prisoners, he said. He was reunited with his family and immigrated to the United States in 2001.
Salihovic was not asked to identify Boskic during testimony.
Megan Tench can be reached at mtench@globe.com.

Related:

1. Butcher of Srebrenica wants his own admission kept silent
2. Elusive Justice: Marko Boskic, a man who gunned down 1,200 Srebrenica Bosniaks
3. Bush administration has no interest in prosecuting Srebrenica massacre suspects
4. Phoenix: Mecca for Srebrenica massacre fugitives

  1. Anonymous
    June 1, 2007 at 4:35 am

    A Bosnian immigrant was convicted Wednesday on charges he concealed his role as an executioner during the 1995 Srebrenica massacre so he could get into the United States.

    Prosecutors said Boskic eventually admitted that he was a soldier in a Serb military unit and helped in the executions of 1,200 Muslim men and boys at Srebrenica, where some 8,000 Bosnian Muslims were murdered in 1995 as part of ethnic cleansing by Serb separatists. It was the largest massacre in Europe since World War II.

    Marko Boskic was sentenced to 64 months in prison.

    Source:

    http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-usserb214985155nov21,0,7472406.story?coll=ny-nationalnews-print

  2. Anonymous
    June 4, 2007 at 3:50 am

    16 Charged with Concealing Bosnian Serb Military Service When Entering U.S.

    WASHINGTON— Sixteen individuals in six states have been charged with criminal violations in connection with their efforts to obtain refugee status in the United States by concealing their prior service in the Bosnian Serb military, Julie L. Myers, Assistant Secretary for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), and Deputy Attorney General Paul J. McNulty and announced today.

    The defendants allegedly committed immigration fraud and/or made false statements by concealing their prior service in these Bosnian Serb military units when filing immigration applications with the U.S. government. The fraudulent applications enabled the defendants to gain refugee status, which allowed them to enter and reside in the United States. One of the defendants became a U.S. citizen.

    In the past week, special ICE agents arrested 13 of the defendants in Orlando and St. Petersburg, FL, Raleigh, High Point NC, Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland and Denver. The remaining criminal defendants are at large.

    According to indictments and criminal complaints filed in the Middle District of Florida, the Eastern District of Wisconsin, the Middle District of North Carolina, the District of Colorado, the Eastern District of Michigan, and Northern District of Ohio, the defendants had served in the Bosnian Serb military. One of the defendants, Nedjo Ikonic, 40, is described in a federal affidavit in Wisconsin as having been a commander of a police unit that cooperated with other Bosnian Serb entities in the July 1995 massacre of Muslims in Srebrenica.

    “Since its founding, the United States has attracted refugees escaping from persecution and atrocities in their countries of origin,” said ICE Assistant Secretary Myers. “ICE will not allow the United States to be a safe haven for those who failed to disclose their service in military forces that were known to commit atrocities. We will continue to work closely with our international partners to relentlessly pursue such criminals.”

    All but one of the defendants face criminal charges that include immigration fraud and/or making false statements. The maximum sentence for making false statements is five years in prison, while the maximum sentence for immigration fraud is 10 years imprisonment. One defendant has been charged with unlawful procurement of citizenship, which carries a maximum potential sentence of 10 years imprisonment.

    “These cases demonstrate our resolve to identify and prosecute those who enter this country under false pretenses, especially those who hide their military past,” said Deputy Attorney General Paul J. McNulty.

    Special ICE agents investigated these cases with assistance from the Office of Special Investigations of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division. They are being prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s Offices for the Middle District of Florida; Eastern District of Wisconsin; Middle District of North Carolina; District of Colorado; Eastern District of Michigan; and Northern District of Ohio. The Office of Special Investigations is also participating in the prosecution of the U.S. citizen defendant in Tampa.

    The indictments and criminal complaints filed in these cases contain mere allegations. The defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.

    The defendants are as follows:

    Middle District of Florida

    Sekula Bilic, indicted on one count of immigration fraud and one count of making false statements.

    Zdravko Kordic, indicted on one count of immigration fraud.

    Branko Popic, indicted on one count of immigration fraud and one count of making false statements.

    Ostoja Saric, indicted on one count of immigration fraud and one count of making false statements.

    Strahinja Krsmanovic, indicted on one count of immigration fraud.

    Boro Stojanovic, indicted on one count of immigration fraud.

    Jadranko Gostic, indicted on one count of unlawful procurement of citizenship and one count of making false statements.

    Zoran Radic, indicted on one count of immigration fraud and making false statements. Radic remains at large.

    Dusan Bosnjak, indicted on one count of immigration fraud and making false statements. Bosnjak remains at large.

    Bogdan Panic, indicted on one count of naturalization fraud and making false statements. Panic remains at large.

    Eastern District of Wisconsin

    Nedjo Ikonic, charged with one count of immigration fraud.

    Middle District of North Carolina

    Milivoje Jankovic, indicted on two counts of immigration fraud and two counts of making false statements.

    Veselin Vidacak, indicted on two counts of immigration fraud and two counts of making false statements.

    District of Colorado

    Milisav Vukovic, charged with one count of false statements.

    Eastern District of Michigan

    Nedjo Lojpur, indicted on two counts of immigration fraud.

    Northern District of Ohio

    Ratko Maslenjak, charged with one count of immigration fraud.

    Source: U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement http://www.ice.gov/pi/news/newsreleases/articles/061215dc.htm

  3. Anonymous
    June 4, 2007 at 3:51 am

    Here is a face of Nedjo Ikonic, Srebrenica massacre killer charged for immigration fraud:

    http://www.jsonline.com/multimedia/graphic.asp?graphic=http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/news/img/dec06/ikonic121306.jpg

  1. No trackbacks yet.
Comments are closed.
%d bloggers like this: