Home > srebrenica massacre > “DEATH VALLEY” OF SREBRENICA YIELDS 616 MORE CORPSES

“DEATH VALLEY” OF SREBRENICA YIELDS 616 MORE CORPSES

November 23, 2007

MORE VICTIMS OF SREBRENICA GENOCIDE EXCAVATED


Photo Caption: Forensic expert Rene Kosalka of Toronto, Canada, member of team from the International Commission for Missing Persons (ICMP) inspects human remains at a mass-grave site in remote mountain area in the village of Kamenica B&H, on Friday, Nov. 16, 2007. The site is a secondary mass graves found in Kamenica, where Bosnian Serbs brought bodies from other sites in order to cover up the crime.

Forensic experts have unearthed the remains of 616 more Bosniak victims of the 1995 Srebrenica genocide from a mass grave, the biggest such site found this year. The village of Kamenica lies in an area nicknamed “Death Valley”. Nine graves have been found there, containing remains of many of the 8,000 men and boys killed by Bosnian Serb forces as they fled Srebrenica in the last months of the 1992-95 Bosnian war.

Nearly 3,600 complete and incomplete bodies of Srebrenica victims have so far been exhumed from 10 mass graves in the Kamenica valley. This brings the total number of exhumed bodies to over 4,200 just from the “Death Valley” area alone.

Experts believe there are more such graves in the Kamenica area. Last year, another grave in the valley yielded more than 1,000 body parts, making it the biggest such site in Bosnia.

Forensic experts also announced the possibility of opening a new mass grave at another location in Kamenica soon.


Photo Caption: Forensic expert Rene Kosalka of Toronto, Canada, a member of team from the International Commission for Missing Persons (ICMP) inspects human remains at a mass-grave site in remote mountain area in the village of Kamenica.

“We found 76 complete and 540 incomplete bodies,” said Ismet Musić, an official of the regional commission for missing persons, standing on the edge of a muddy grave where white-clad forensic pathologists cleaned up bones.

Some bodies are very well preserved due to an extraordinary microclimate in the grave. Musić said some faces were almost intact, with eyes staring wide open.

“It was quite a creepy sight,” he said.

A total 8,000 Bosniak Muslim men and boys were killed after the town was overrun by the Bosnian Serbs despite having been declared a “safe area” where United Nations troops had been stationed.

Bosnian Serb general Ratko Mladic, indicted for genocide over the atrocity, is still on the run.

Documents found at the newly-excavated site and on many of the bodies reveal their identities. Bodies have been unearthed with eyes blindfolded, hands bound, and bullet wounds.


Photo Caption: A team from the International Commission for Missing Persons (ICMP) inspects personal ID’s found during exhumation at a mass-grave site in a remote mountain area in the village of Kamenica.

“It is obvious how they were executed,” Musić said.

Many victims of the Srebrenica genocide were hunted down while running through the woods in small groups and shot.

The Bosnian Serbs first buried them near the execution sites but then dug up many of them up again with bulldozers and reburied them in so-called “secondary” mass graves, in an attempt to cover up the crime.

More than 3,000 victims have been DNA identified and buried. The remains of as many more, often dismembered, still await identification through DNA analysis.


Photo Caption: Forensic experts Sharna Daley of London U.K. left, and Rene Kosalka of Toronto, Canada, members of a team from the International Commission for Missing Persons (ICMP) inspect human remains at a mass-grave site in remote mountain area in the village of Kamenica, Bosnia, on Friday, Nov. 16, 2007. Exhumed human remains will be identified by DNA examination . The exhumation of the Kamenica mass grave began last month. It is one of many secondary mass graves found in Kamenica, where Bosnian Serbs brought bodies from other sites in order to cover up the crime.

  1. Kirk Johnson
    November 26, 2007 at 3:26 pm

    As always, thanks for the updates.

    I wonder if any of the Balkan genocide revisionists (Parenti, Johnstone, Hermann, etc.) are paying the slightest attention to any of these recent findings. I wonder how these people would reformulate their now-entirely discredited “Where are all the bodies buried?” rhetoric?

  2. rbih4ever
    November 27, 2007 at 4:24 am

    Those ppl (Parenti, Johnstone, Hermann, etc.) would probably find some other excuse for their Chetnik masters. They are forever lost to the dark side.

  3. canadian
    November 29, 2007 at 3:00 am

    They want to know the truth as do I. The numbers never seem to add up. All I want is some clarification. By the way, other media sources reported the story and the numbers of exhumed victims somewhat differently. Is this Australian source into genocide denial: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/world/large-srebrenica-mass-grave-exhumed-forensic-expert/2007/11/23/1195753252573.html ? They report that the total number of sketetons and body parts add up to 616, but that the forensic expert estimates that there are at least 180 individuals, because obviously many of the body parts belonged to the same person. Reporting that 616 bodies have been found is just wrong, obfuscating the numbers yet again. It’s just very hard to know the truth and we need the truth, before there can be real acceptance or reconciliation. There are those who want to minimize the numbers and there are those who have an interest in maximizing the numbers. No matter how distasteful it, there has to be some resolution. I want to know for example how the original number of just over 8000 was adjusted after at least 2000 of the people who were first reported missing made it safely to Tuzla. What about the ones who were absorbed back into the army? How did the number get back up to 8000? It may well be 8000, or 7000 as most journalists claim now, but I just want to see some independent explanation of how the number was calculated, taking into account all the survivors who were known to have been flown to Ireland or Australia, all the ones who make the trek from Srebrenica to Tuzla, etc. Were thousands of people not reported as missing in the first week? That would have to be the case for the 8000 number to hold up. Why were they not reported missing? I have read most of the (huge) DutchBat report, and everything else that I can find on Srebrenica, and the answers just aren’t there. Why? Can anybody tell me? Asking these questions is not denying anything – it is simply searching for the truth.

  4. Srebrenica Massacre Editor
    November 29, 2007 at 6:38 pm

    Hi Canadian,

    What you quoted is most likely the difference in translation from Bosnian into English, but we are talking about bodies here, not just merely about skeletal remains, quote:

    “Forensic experts have unearthed the remains of 616 more Bosnian Muslim victims of the 1995 Srebrenica massacre from a mass grave, the biggest such site found this year.

    The village of Kamenica lies in an area nicknamed ‘Death Valley’. Nine graves have been found there, containing remains of many of the 8,000 men and boys killed by Bosnian Serb forces as they fled Srebrenica in the last months of the 1992-95 Bosnian war.

    ‘We found 76 complete and 540 incomplete bodies,’ said Ismet Music, an official of the regional commission for missing persons, standing on the edge of a muddy grave where white-clad forensic pathologists cleaned up bones.

    Some bodies are very well preserved due to an extraordinary microclimate in the grave. Music said some faces were almost intact, with eyes staring wide open.”

    http://www.reuters.com/article/newsMaps/idUSL2267087620071122

    I am in touch with the ICMP and they confirmed number of 616 exhumed bodies (some of them are incomplete).

    Original number was about 10,000 victims, but was scaled down to just over 8,000. The number is likely more, but many bodies were thrown into the Drina river and many families were wiped down completely, so nobody could even report the loss.

    The list of Srebrenica genocide victims contains their names, unique identification numbers, DOB and other personal information for each and every victim. You don’t have this type of extensive personal information for each and every Holocaust victim, and I don’t see you question 6 million Jews who perished during the Holocaust, do you? It seems that Srebrenica victims contantly have to be on defensive by going through great lengths to prove their victimhood.

    The answers to your questions will be better addressed if you read Questions and Answers about Srebrenica Genocide which you can find at this link:

    http://srebrenica-genocide.blogspot.com/2007/07/srebrenica-genocide-questions-answers.html

  5. Srebrenica Massacre Editor
    November 29, 2007 at 10:39 pm

    So far, and according to the ICMP (the International Commission on Missing Persons) 5,000 Srebrenica Genocide victims were already DNA-identified, and more victims are being excavated from mass graves and subjected to the DNA-identification process as we speak.

    http://www.ic-mp.org/home.php?act=news&n_id=240&

    Also, according to DNA – there is certainly no less than 8,000 victims, read here:

    http://srebrenica-genocide.blogspot.com/2007/05/dna-8000-victims-certainly-not-less.html

  6. Owen
    November 30, 2007 at 12:35 pm

    Canadian, Dan’s right to point you in the direction of ICMP (the International Commission on Missing Persons). These are people who are scrupulous in the way they deal with each successive new exhumation. They have to be, because they are answerable not just to the international community but to the families of the victims.

    It is hard to imagine after all the disinterments and secondary and tertiary burials aimed at obfuscating the truth that all the remains will ever be found and exact numbers determined. There are a number of victims whose identity will never be confirmed because entire families were slaughtered between 1992 and July 1995.

    So the possibility always needs to be borne in mind that the ICMP calculations are an underestimate. Nevertheless this is the source you should be referring to, not secondary sources which may unintenional errors or deliberately misrepresent the truth.

    As far as the NIOD report is concerned you should bear in mind that it has been criticised for its lack of an overall focus which has led to the inclusion of misleading information alongside accurate reporting.

    Please don’t class yourself alongside the likes of Parenti, Johnstone, Herrman, et al. because they have shown only too clearly that they are not interested in the truth.

  1. No trackbacks yet.
Comments are closed.
%d bloggers like this: